We have been manufacturing combustion chambers and nozzles inside the Ariane programme since 1972. Today we are the manufacturer of the nozzle extension for both the Vulcain 1 and the Vulcain 2 engine for the Ariane 5 rocket. Today our offer includes the following four types of nozzles:
- Radiation cooled sheet metal nozzles
- Supersonic injection cooled nozzles
- Dump cooled nozzles
- Regeneratively cooled nozzles
We have capacity for both serial- and single unit manufacturing. Our production facilities include EB-, TIG- and laser welding, a wide range of machine operations, thermal spray coating, as well as support from our own material laboratories.
Examples of our manufacturing capabilities are:
- High-speed milling machines for advanced precision work
- Laser welding capability of structures as large as 3x3x3 meters
- Vacuum furnaces for heat treatment of structures up to 2.5 m in diam.
- NC machining of structures up to 2.8 m in diam.
- Sheet metal forming of structures up to 2.8 m in diam.
- A diversity of non-destructive testing technologies
- Measuring machines for components up to 3x3x4 meters
We have also access to an extensive supplier network supplementing our needs.
- GKN Aerospace is well prepared for the next generation of the Ariane product through the development of the unique sandwich nozzle technology
- We are the centre of excellence for metallic extension nozzles in Europe
- Very experienced design team
- World leading technologies demonstrated in flight or to TRL 6 in full scale hot firings
Production experience of over 1000 nozzles.
Platforms deployed on:
- Ariane 5 Rocket – Vulcain 2 engine nozzle extension